J Korean Geriatr Psychiatry.  2014 Oct;18(2):86-91. 10.0000/jkgp.2014.18.2.86.

Prevalence and Associated Factors of Depression in Mild Cognitive Impairment

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Neuropsychiatry, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea. selfpsy@snu.ac.kr
  • 2Department of Psychiatry, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
  • 3Department of Neuropsychiatry, SMG-SNU Boramae Medical Center, Seoul, Korea.

Abstract


OBJECTIVE
The aims of this study were to investigate the prevalence of co-morbid depression and related factors of depression in mild cognitive impairment (MCI) patients.
METHODS
Nine hundred and six MCI individuals were included in this study. Depression was defined as major and minor depressive disorder according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV). Depression-related demographic and clinical factors were also explored through multivariate logistic regression analysis.
RESULTS
In MCI patients, the prevalence of depression as defined according to the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria was 1.8% for major depressive disorder, 11.4% for minor depressive disorder, and overall 13.2% for both. Multivariate logistic regression showed that increased prevalence of overall depression was associated with female gender and non-amnestic subtype of MCI.
CONCLUSION
Our findings based on a large number of MCI subjects who visited memory clinic indicated that more than ten percent of MCI patients have comorbid depression. In addition, female and non-amnestic subtype of MCI patients seems to be more vulnerable to depression.

Keyword

Mild cognitive impairment; Depression; Major depressive disorder; Minor depressive disorder; Prevalence
Full Text Links
  • JKGP
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2020 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr