Korean J Anesthesiol.  2006 May;50(5):506-510. 10.4097/kjae.2006.50.5.506.

Assessment of Blood Glucose Values Measured by Blood Gas Analyzer or Portable Glucometer

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Kangnam St. Mary's Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea. yklee@catholic.ac.kr

Abstract

BACKGROUND: A portable glucometer is commonly used to immediately check the blood glucose level. In the anesthetic field, some blood gas analyzers can also give a rapid indication of the blood sugar level but the accuracy is unknown. Therefore, this study assessed the accuracy of the blood glucose values measured by either a blood gas analyzer or portable glucometer.
METHODS
Venous blood from diabetic patients was used to measure the glucose level with either a blood gas analyzer or a portable glucometer. The difference and 5% deviation from reference values was analyzed. These values were also assessed using a Bland-Altman plot and clinical significance was examined using a Clarke error grid.
RESULTS
The differences from the reference values were smaller using the blood gas analyzer (1.3 +/- 7.8 mg/dl) than using the portable glucometer (-5.1 +/- 16.7 mg/dl)(P < 0.01). 73.4% of the values measured by the blood gas analyzer and 40.0% of those measured by the portable glucometer were within 5% of the reference value. The 95% limits of agreement in the difference ranged from -14.3 to 16.9 in the blood gas analyzer and -38.5 to 28.2 in the portable glucometer. Error grid analysis showed that 100% of the values measured by the blood gas analyzer were located in zone A. When locating the values measured using the portable glucometer, 95.6% were located in zone A, and the remaining 4.4% are located in zone B.
CONCLUSIONS
The blood gas analyzer measures the blood glucose more accurately than the portable glucometer. However, the blood glucose values measured by the portable glucometer are clinically acceptable.

Keyword

bland altman analysis; blood gas analyzer; error grid analysis; glucose; portable glucometer
Full Text Links
  • KJAE
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2021 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr