Korean J Vet Res.  2013 Sep;53(3):177-180.

Flurbiprofen toxicity in 2 dogs

Affiliations
  • 1College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul 151-742, Korea. cyhwang@snu.ac.kr

Abstract

Two dogs were presented with melena, vomiting and depression after accidental swallowing of candy form of Strepsils (flurbiprofen), which is one of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used in human medicine for controlling a sore throat. These dogs had common signs of anemia induced by gastrointestinal ulceration and hemorrhage with azotemia and leukocytosis. The dogs were treated with blood transfusion, fluid therapy, proton-pump inhibitor, antiemetics, mucus protectant and antibiotic. Although most of clinical signs of two dogs were resolved, azotemic problem with evidence of renal injury have remained.

Keyword

dogs; non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs); Strepsils (flurbiprofen); toxicity
Full Text Links
  • KJVR
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2021 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr