Korean J Gastroenterol.  2012 May;59(5):377-381. 10.4166/kjg.2012.59.5.377.

A Case of Synchronous Early Gastric Cancer and Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma Treated with Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection and Chemotherapy

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Internal Medicine, Kyung Hee University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea. jyjang@khu.ac.kr

Abstract

Among malignant tumors of the stomach, adenocarcinoma takes up about 95% and the remaining are mostly lymphomas, being less than 5%. The majority of lymphomas are B cell lymphomas, and the most common types are low-grade B cell lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue and diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBL). The synchronous occurrence of adenocarcinoma and lymphoma in the stomach is being reported rarely. Especially the concurrence of adenocarcinoma and DLBL is very scarce and less than 10 cases have been reported inside and outside this country. In the past, the general treatment for cases of concurrence of adenocarcinoma and DLBL when surgery is possible according to cancer stages was gastrectomy, followed by single or combined chemotherapy and radiation treatment. However, when considering that most cases of concurrent adenocarcinoma were early gastric cancer which is limited to the mucosa, endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) can become an alternative treatment method for gastrectomy. We report the experience with chemotherapy and ESD done together instead of surgery, in patients concurrently diagnosed with early gastric cancer and gastric lymphoma.

Keyword

Early gastric cancer; Lymphoma; Endoscopic submucosal dissection; Chemotherapy
Full Text Links
  • KJG
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2021 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr