J Gynecol Oncol.  2020 Apr;31(1):e2. 10.3802/jgo.2020.31.e2.

Clinical response and safety of apatinib monotherapy in recurrent, metastatic cervical cancer after failure of chemotherapy:a retrospective study

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Zhengzhou University (Henan Cancer Hospital), Zhengzhou, China

Abstract


Objective
To observe the safety and short-term efficacy of apatinib in the treatment of recurrent, metastatic cervical cancer in patients who have already received more than two kinds of comprehensive treatment.
Methods
Forty-eight patients with recurrent or metastatic cervical cancer after radiotherapy or surgery who received apatinib between June 2016 and June 2017 were involved in this study. These patients experienced progression after first-line or second-line chemotherapy. There were 38 patients with cervical squamous cell carcinoma, 8 with adenocarcinoma, and 2 with adenosquamous carcinoma. Progression-free survival (PFS), overall survival (OS), and treatment-related adverse events (AEs) were reviewed and evaluated.
Results
All patients had complete follow-up records, and the median follow-up time was 14.5 months (5.5–20.5 months). Among the 48 patients, 14.58% achieved a partial response and 52.08% achieved stable disease. The overall response rate and disease control rate were 14.58% and 66.67%, respectively. The median time that the 48 patients received oral apatinib was 8.2 months. The median PFS was 4.6 months (95% confidence interval [CI]=3.31–5.26) and OS was 13.9 months (95% CI=8.37–17.96). The main apatinib-related adverse reactions were leukopenia (37.5%), neutropenia (41.67%), hemorrhage (37.5%), hypertension (33.33%), proteinuria (12.5%), fatigue (37.5%), and hand-foot syndrome (27.08%). Most of them were grade 1–2, and no drug-related death occurred.
Conclusions
Apatinib can improve the disease control rate of recurrent and metastatic cervical cancer when chemotherapy has failed, and the treatment is well tolerated. This represents that apatinib may be a new treatment option for metastatic cervical cancer patients.

Keyword

Cervix Neoplasms; Apatinib Mesylate; Molecular Targeted Therapy; Drug Toxicity
Full Text Links
  • JGO
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2021 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr