Korean J Gastrointest Endosc.  2005 Jan;30(1):24-27.

A Case of Esophageal Foreign Body Induced by Glue Ingestion

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea. kumcge@chollian.net
  • 2Institute of Digestive Disease and Nutrition, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.

Abstract

Foreign bodies of the upper gastrointestinal tract are usually discovered in children, persons with esophageal disease, prisoners with a purpose of secondary gain, and mentally disturbed or disabled individuals. In adults, accidentally or intentionally ingested foreign bodies such as dentures, coins, corks, toothbrush, needles, and nails are reported. To our knowledge, there has been one case of gastric bezoar caused by glue ingestion that was removed by surgical operation in Korea. However, there has been no case report of esophageal foreign body caused by glue ingestion neither in Korea nor elsewhere. We report a case of a man with a history of chronic glue inhalation, who ingested glue with suicidal intent, that was solidified from the upper esophagus to the stomach. It was successfully removed by therapeutic endoscopy.

Keyword

Esophageal foreign body; Glue; Endoscopic treatment
Full Text Links
  • KJGE
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2020 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr