Korean J Occup Environ Med.  1997 Dec;9(4):579-588.

Cumulative Trauma Disorders Among Shipyard Workers and Application of Baseline Checklist for Risk Assessment

  • 1Institute for Occupational and Environmental Medicine, GMC, Korea.
  • 2Department of Rehabilitation, GMC, Korea.
  • 3National Rehabilitation Center, Department of Rehabilitation, Korea.
  • 4Inha University, Department of Industrial Engineering, Korea.
  • 5Hallym University, Hangang Sacred Hospital, Departemtn of Rehabilitiaon and Center of Occupational Medicine, Korea.
  • 6Samsung electronics, Korea.


Cumulative trauma disorders were surveyed in a cross-sectional study of 100 male ship yard workers and 43 male office workers. And baseline checklist for risk assessment of cumulative trauma disorders was applicated in a ship making process. Cases of cumulative trauma disorders were defined using physical examinations and electronic diagnostic methods. Data on demographics, individual factors (medical condition), work organization and psychosocial aspects of work were obtained by questionnaire. Association between the above factors and cumulative trauma disorders were assessed by multiple logistic regression models. 29(29 %) participants of male shipyard workers and 4(9.2 %) study subjects of male office workers met our case definitions for cumulative trauma disorders. The myofascial pain syndrome of neck muscles(12 % of participants) and carpal tunnel syndrome(5 % of participants) were the major two medical conditions in shipyard workers. The odds of male shipyard workers for cumulative trauma disorders to male office workers was 3.15 after adjustment of age(95 % C.I. :2.25-5.44). And the variables such as duration of present job, HIVD condition, and surges in workload were associated at least one of the cumulative trauma disorders in the final models (p<0.05) . This study indicates that work related upper extremity musculoskeletal disorders are relatively common among shipyard workers, and shows that the psychosocial factors is not likely to be related to the occur rences of these disorders in heavy workers. Also we developed baseline checklist for risk assessment of cumulative trauma disorders. The checklist was unique in that its expected users were industrial hygienists and occupational healthing nurses who did not have much ergonomic background and in that it was targeted to Korean workers in various types. As the first application of the checklist, shipyard workers were evaluated.


Case definitions; Checklist; CTDs; Musculoskeletal disorders; Office workers; Shipyard workers

MeSH Terms

Cross-Sectional Studies
Cumulative Trauma Disorders*
Logistic Models
Myofascial Pain Syndromes
Occupational Health
Physical Examination
Risk Assessment*
Upper Extremity
Full Text Links
export Copy
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2024 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr