J Korean Surg Soc.  2007 Oct;73(4):355-358.

Gastrointestinal Complication Caused by Ingestion of Multiple Magnets for Children

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, Gyeong-Sang National University Hospital, Jinju, Korea. drjyt@yahoo.co.kr

Abstract

Because of the magnetic property that attracts magnets to one another, the swallowing of magnets could provoke perforation, obstruction, and formation of fistula in the gastrointestinal tract. Here, the authors describe two cases of gastrointestinal complication caused by swallowed magnets in children. The first case occurred in a 12-year-old boy who swallowed multiple magnetic educational instruments; the patients presented with duodeno-colic and colo-colic fistula. In the second case, a 7-year-old boy swallowed two magnets and developed a jejuno-jejunal fistula associated with perforation of the jejunum. In accidental swallowing of the magnet, especially multiple pieces, the follow-up plain abdominal X-ray film should be checked, and an emergency exploration could be considered.

Keyword

Foreign body; Magnets; Perforation; Fistula; Obstruction
Full Text Links
  • JKSS
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2021 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr