J Rhinol.  2021 Mar;28(1):44-49. 10.18787/jr.2020.00343.

A Survey on the Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis in the Korean Rhinologic Society

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea

Abstract

Background and Objectives
There are several diagnostic and therapeutic modalities for chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS), but specific guidelines have not been developed for Koreans. This study sought to evaluate and report CRS practice patterns of members of the Korean Rhinologic Society. Materials and Method: An anonymous survey including 32 items was conducted from August to September 2015. The survey items were categorized into three parts: general information, diagnosis and treatment of CRS, and endoscopic sinus surgery.
Results
A total of 267 members participated in this survey. Almost half of the respondents (41.9%) were in their 40s and 42.7% had 10-20 years of experience. A total of 61.8% were private practitioners, while the rest worked in hospitals (38.2%). The prevalence rate of acute rhinosinusitis was higher in private clinics compared to hospitals (p<0.001). Intranasal steroids and saline irrigation were more commonly prescribed among hospital doctors compared to private practitioners (p<0.001). Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid was the drug of choice for adult and pediatric CRS patients among private practitioners. However, hospital doctors preferred macrolides for adult CRS patients and third-generation cephalosporins for pediatric CRS patients. Most private clinics performed surgery under local anesthesia (90.8%), while those in a hospital setting preferred general anesthesia (78.4%). Revision surgery rates were higher in hospitals compared to private clinics (p<0.001).
Conclusion
There were significant variations in CRS practice patterns between private clinics and hospitals. For effective and standardized diagnosis and management of CRS, appropriate local guidelines are needed.

Keyword

Chronic rhinosinusitisㆍMedical treatmentㆍEndoscopic sinus surgeryㆍSurveyㆍGuidelines
Full Text Links
  • JR
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
    DB Error: unknown error