Ann Lab Med.  2017 Mar;37(2):117-123. 10.3343/alm.2017.37.2.117.

Comparative Analysis of Clinical Samples Showing Weak Serum Reaction on AutoVue System Causing ABO Blood Typing Discrepancies

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Pusan National University, Medical Research Institute, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Korea.
  • 2Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Pusan National University, Medical Research Institute, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan, Korea. hhkim@pusan.ac.kr

Abstract

BACKGROUND
ABO blood typing in pre-transfusion testing is a major component of the high workload in blood banks that therefore requires automation. We often experienced discrepant results from an automated system, especially weak serum reactions. We evaluated the discrepant results by the reference manual method to confirm ABO blood typing.
METHODS
In total, 13,113 blood samples were tested with the AutoVue system; all samples were run in parallel with the reference manual method according to the laboratory protocol.
RESULTS
The AutoVue system confirmed ABO blood typing of 12,816 samples (97.7%), and these results were concordant with those of the manual method. The remaining 297 samples (2.3%) showed discrepant results in the AutoVue system and were confirmed by the manual method. The discrepant results involved weak serum reactions (<2+ reaction grade), extra serum reactions, samples from patients who had received stem cell transplants, ABO subgroups, and specific system error messages. Among the 98 samples showing ≤1+ reaction grade in the AutoVue system, 70 samples (71.4%) showed a normal serum reaction (≥2+ reaction grade) with the manual method, and 28 samples (28.6%) showed weak serum reaction in both methods.
CONCLUSIONS
ABO blood tying of 97.7% samples could be confirmed by the AutoVue system and a small proportion (2.3%) needed to be re-evaluated by the manual method. Samples with a 2+ reaction grade in serum typing do not need to be evaluated manually, while those with ≤1+ reaction grade do.

Keyword

ABO typing; Automated system; AutoVue system; Manual method; Discrepancy

MeSH Terms

ABO Blood-Group System/*blood
Automation
Blood Banks
Blood Grouping and Crossmatching/instrumentation/*methods
Humans
ABO Blood-Group System
Full Text Links
  • ALM
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
    DB Error: unknown error